CALL FOR PAPERS
Application Deadline: NOVEMBER 10, 2017
The LGBTQ Policy Journal at the Harvard Kennedy School of Government is a student-run, nonpartisan publication dedicated to featuring papers on the policies, politics, trends and issues impacting lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) communities and individuals. The LGBTQ Policy Journal is a vehicle to inform and enhance the decisions of policy makers, thought leaders, and organizations around the world.
We are currently accepting submissions for our eighth volume, which will be published in the spring of 2018. The editorial team is seeking commentaries, research, reviews, art, and other content on a diverse array of policies that affect LGBTQ people and communities. Previous submissions have explored:
- LGBQ/GNCT Youth in the U.S. Justice System
- The intersections of the reproductive rights movement and LGBT equality movement
- Advancing LGBT equality in the “Arab Spring”
- A survey of public sector administrative complaints regarding employment discrimination
- Exploring workplace equality in international organizations like the UN, World Bank
PROPOSAL SUBMISSION (DUE November 10, 2017)
The application consists of two parts: completion of a web form and an emailed writing sample.
- Web Form: click here to access the web form (or go to https://goo.gl/forms/6dSy2Sm60GqRxGJG2). Note that you will need to prepare the following information:
- A summary of your argument or topic (1500 characters or less)
- A description of any work you have done on the topic so far, if any (1000 characters or less)
- A description of sources or research you plan to utilize in your work (1000 characters or less)
- An estimated word length for the final product
- Writing Sample: Please email a writing sample (no more than five pages) of your choosing (published articles are preferable, but not required) to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The LGBTQ Policy Journal receives more submissions than we can include in our print journal. The editorial team will select work for publication based on timeliness, relevance, originality, style, depth, and cohesiveness with other pieces. If a submission is not chosen for the final publication, we may ask contributors to submit content to be featured online.
FINAL ARTICLE REQUIREMENTS
Authors will be notified at the beginning of November regarding the status of their proposal. If selected, the first draft is due December 31, 2017; then authors will be required to participate in time-intensive editing and rewriting during January in coordination with our editors. Please note publication parameters:
- Commentaries can be as short as 500 words, and research articles up to 6,000 words.
- Work must be original and not published in the same form elsewhere.
- Authors are required to cooperate with editing and fact-checking and to comply with Journal deadlines.
The LGBTQ Policy Journal will select papers for publication based on the following criteria:
- Relevance of the topic to LGBTQ policy issues and timeliness with current policy debates
- Originality of the ideas and depth of the proposed research
- Sophistication and style of argument(s)
- Contribution to scholarship and policy-making on LGBTQ issues